I have a non-eater. I think every family has one. It's God way, I guess. Cate and Claire inhale almost everything I cook. I have a rule that you eat what I make (or daddy makes) or you don't eat, after all, I'm not a short order cook-lol! Please don't think too harshly of me. Usually, the kids end up liking it, and all I ask is that they try instead of assuming they won't eat it. If they at least eat a few bites and still don't like it, I will give them cereal or something quick. Cara prefers to test my rule almost every night. I beg her to at least try one bite (I never make my kids clean their plate). She scoffs, she whines, she refuses *sigh*. Last night I was digging around for some clean spoons and the last one I had clean was a sugar spoon. Anyway, I told her she had to eat with the special spoon cuz that was all I had left-then it hit me. I can make this into the "special spoon" and only those who try new things get it! She loved that and tried a few bites for me. I think I will go and buy some really pretty spoons for each of them to use when they try new things. My thinking right now is that if they try the food, they get to use the special spoon for the rest of the meal. I'm still working all the details out. Fingers crossed!
Friday, October 16, 2009
Special Spoon
I have a non-eater. I think every family has one. It's God way, I guess. Cate and Claire inhale almost everything I cook. I have a rule that you eat what I make (or daddy makes) or you don't eat, after all, I'm not a short order cook-lol! Please don't think too harshly of me. Usually, the kids end up liking it, and all I ask is that they try instead of assuming they won't eat it. If they at least eat a few bites and still don't like it, I will give them cereal or something quick. Cara prefers to test my rule almost every night. I beg her to at least try one bite (I never make my kids clean their plate). She scoffs, she whines, she refuses *sigh*. Last night I was digging around for some clean spoons and the last one I had clean was a sugar spoon. Anyway, I told her she had to eat with the special spoon cuz that was all I had left-then it hit me. I can make this into the "special spoon" and only those who try new things get it! She loved that and tried a few bites for me. I think I will go and buy some really pretty spoons for each of them to use when they try new things. My thinking right now is that if they try the food, they get to use the special spoon for the rest of the meal. I'm still working all the details out. Fingers crossed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We have the same rule in our house that the only thing served is whats on your plate - you're lovely in that you give them cereal if they won't eat - Inara doesn't even get that option and there have been many nights where she goes to bed hungry because she refused to touch her dinner.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the special spoon idea, we may be implementing that in our house too. :-)
I agree that children should at least try new things. The special spoon idea is great!! Love, Mom
ReplyDeleteThat is a great idea Ashley! I should try it on my non-eater. I really am doubtful about anything working and him just growing out of this phase but I will try it.
ReplyDeleteI think I do need to figure out his "currency" and what will work on him. So far, nothing motivates him and he goes to bed without eating ALL the time. (sigh)
What a great way to motivate kids! We might have to go spoon shopping here.
ReplyDelete