We had the pleasure of seeing some old friends while visiting family a few weeks ago. My dearest friend, Cara, and her family, is on medical furlough from Tanzania, Africa. They have been living in Granbury the past few months. They came to my sister's house to meet up with us and we had a wonderful time catching up. They will be returning to their home in Tanzania in a few months. I am hoping to see her one more time before she returns.~
Cara and I became friends before I had children, but was newly married. They attended our church in Glen Rose and I use to babysit her oldest two girls. At that time, they were here from Kenya getting treatment for their daughter, Laurynn, who had Leukemia. I am not sure how it all came about, but I approached Cara about doing a Bible Study together. I was drawn to her love for God and I wanted to sit at her feet and be taught how to be a better wife and future mother. Cara gave her time so unselfishly. Her daughter was in the midst of chemotherapy, she homeschooled, homemaked, and later, became pregnant with her third child. She made time for me, for me! Wow, we are never too busy to minister to others are we?
~
Once a week, Cara welcomed me into her home. We read the Word together, prayed together, and laughed together. She introduced me to African Chai and homemade goodness (cakes, brownies, muffins-mmmm!). Oh, and lentil soup with spices only from Africa-heavenly good! Over the years, that time became so precious to me. After I had Cate, she was there helping me be a new mom. Above all else, Cara prayed for me constantly. I trusted her implicitly. I also had the pleasure of working with Mark, Cara's husband, at Riverbend Retreat Center. There, I worked as an instructor teaching camp kids about local wildlife, hiking, and doing various nature activities with them. Living outdoors and teaching kids the wonders of God's creation was awesome!
~
When it came time for the Phillips Family to return to Africa, I was happy that they were going back on the mission field, but selfishly, I wanted them to stay. A group of us from our church traveled up to Ft. Worth to eat before they went to the airport. I made sure to laugh and share good times with my dear friend. I hugged her one last time and then got back into my car and wept. I sit her now weeping over my dear friend. I miss her so much. I know Cara would not want me to say this, but truly, she is one of the most Godly women I have ever known. She has blessed me in abundant ways. I hope that one day, I can minister to someone the same way she ministered to me. My prayer is God will allow me to travel to Tanzania soon on a mission trip to work hand in hand with my dearest friend. For now, I am committed to praying for their ministry (Bible translation) and walking in the way that Cara has prayed I would.






What a blessing to have such an amazing friendship!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful tribute to your friend Cara! Loved reading about her and the history of your friendship and how she is your daughter's namesake. Very special!
ReplyDelete