SwagBucks

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Well, I Was On a Budget...

I have been doing a lot of research today on buying organic, gluten-free items on a budget. Apparently, coupons don't exist for these items it seems. That really screws up my grocery budget. I mean really. I have been trying to only buy organic fruits and veggies as much as I can . Now, I am buying gluten-free, casein free stuff and trying to not spend too much-that stuff is pricey! I have probably bought too much pre-made stuff (think pretzels, crackers, cookies, bread, flour mixes, etc). Since starting this 3 weeks ago, I think I am still in the deer-in-the-headlight-stage and I just buy what seems will work instead of trying to make it from scratch . My HEB has expanded their GF section and offers a lot more which can be a good thing and a bad thing too.

I try to not buy too many convenience foods but gluten&dairy free frozen waffles/pancakes from Van's make my life easier. I have also been buying a few Amy's frozen dinners for those nights we are in a hurry and I can stick one of those in the microwave (since going to get take-out isn't an option for her). Maybe I can request coupons. Do you think they will laugh at me?

So we are learning and adapting. I will have to find time to cook from scratch. I am reading some new blogs to get ideas (see below). I will have to expand my grocery budget and spend a little more-that's ok. But I am not giving up on finding good deals...;)

Here are some of the things I found:

Gluten Free Goddess (casein free too)

Gluten Free Mom

Crockpotting365 (gluten-free recipes for your crockpot)
**I originally did not buy the cookbook for the gluten-free recipes. She does a great job of making them adaptable for the wheat lovers out there. I love this website.

Gluten Free Girl and the Chef

Amy's Frozen Foods (special diet section)

Chex Gluten-Free Snack and Dessert Ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment