Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Student Stories
I had something interesting happen to me at work today. I had a student who was in the 4th grade who told me that she did not go to school today. When I asked if she was sick or just did not have school, she told me that she lost her shoes! I was shocked. This precious little girl could not go to school today because the only pair of shoes she owns was missing. I wanted to go buy her shoes right then and there. We are so blessed by what we have that sometimes we forget that poverty is real and is all around us. Now for those of you who are wondering how she could have a computer to do her lessons, let me expain: Most of my tutoring is through a company called Catapult. That program provides the same type lessons as Sylvan, but since it is through the school system, but contracted through EO, it does not cost anything to the families. It also provides a computer. When the students are finished, they get to keep the computer. That is why most of my students are from the large inner-cities, like NY, Detroit, LA, and Chicago. I think it is a wonderful program and I have met some wonderful students. I had one student tell me that she wished all her school could be this way. She was a math student, and she told me she was not used to being told she "was doing a good job" by a teacher. May God use me to not only mold minds but to mold and heal hearts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment