SwagBucks

Thursday, September 4, 2008

More Like Him Than I Knew

As I laid in bed this morning, pondering our future tv purchase (our current tv has just about run its course, and frankly, I just want a new one) I starting thinking about the cables I need to buy, how long it would take me to install (yes, I will do it myself), and analyzing every aspect of the purchase (got to research, comparison shop, etc). Am I blowing your mind yet? You see, I know way to much stuff for a girl when it comes to electronics. Why? My dad taught me at a young age how to program the VCR, how to switch the cable box, the importance of surround sound, and get the best quality, etc. A smile grew across my face as I started to think about how my dad would be so interested in my future tv purchase. Which got me thinking about my dad...
My dad was a stay-at-home dad. I slept on his shoulder instead of a crib. It was amazing really, b/c my father had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 2 years before my birth, and he was already having trouble walking when I was a baby. As I grew, his disease became worse and my responsibilities to help him out increased as well. Although this horrible illness ravaged his body, he had the best sense of humor of anyone I know to this day. He was intelligent and witty, and had so many friends. He even made friends with the UPS guy (and we all know they don't typically stay around to chat). He was pretty organized, liked a clean house, never pulled into the garage unless the door was ALL the way up and stopped (what if the mechanism broke and the door crashed on your car!), loved science and history, and drinking coffee outside in the morning (not a habit I picked up from him).

My dad taught me how to play chess, asked me to learn the Gettysburg Address and then cried when I recited it, enjoyed dressing me in boys clothing from the Sears catalog (my mom was horrified by this), and would secretly have me go and buy him candy bars when my mom was not around (he was not suppose to have them). He loved his flowerbeds and I would spend a lot of time watering and babying his plants for him. I hated it at the time, but I am thankful for the knowledge I gained from him. He would be impressed with my Zinnias! His favorite drink was Country Time Lemonade (yellow) and I was really the only one who could make it for him. He liked it extra tart. There are lots of great stories of him asking me to get him some lemonade! My girls inherited this trait. They love it!

I really could go on and on about my dad. He was a remarkable man. As I approach the anniversary of his death 15 years ago, I of course will be sad, but thankful that I am sad, because that means that I miss him still. I am so fortunate that I had a father who loved me. His last words to me were on the day that I was inducted into the National Honor Society. As I sat in his lap while he looked at my certificate, he told me how proud he was of me. Then he rolled away in his wheelchair and told my sister and I goodnight (in his funny way, which I have no idea how to spell it, so just ask and I will tell you).

I can smile, sing, laugh, feel joy, hug, rejoice, and have faith, all because of my Father in heaven, and because I had a DADDY here on Earth.

6 comments:

  1. Ashley, that is so touching. Thanks for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, thank you so much for sharing! I have always wanted to know more about him. What a special daughter you are and what an amazing Daddy he was. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful way to honor your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetheart thank you for such touching memories. You captured him well. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was moving--I am glad that wasn't any longer b/c tears were starting to fall. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious tribute, Ashley. I'm touched to hear about that portion of your life. And how wonderful that your memories are all so very fond.

    ReplyDelete