Friday, December 19, 2008
Advent/Jesse Tree
We started doing Advent this year and the girls really enjoyed it. Because we started late and it is so new to them (and us), I have been thinking of ways to improve for next year. I want to compile some of my ideas on my blog, mostly for reference for next year. I also found some great info on doing a Jesse Tree. For those unfamiliar with Jesse Tree, it is based on Isaiah 11:1, and the prophecy that Christ would come from "the stump of Jesse". These are daily readings all December long that starts with Creation and ends with the birth of Christ. Every story points to the purpose of Christ (which is what the entire Old Testament is about anyway). Here are some links that I found here, here, and here that I plan on using. I plan on doing our Jesse Tree this year leading up to Easter and I will just add a few things showing the crucifixion and resurrection. I am hoping it will be something we do both Christmas and Easter. I think the BEST bible for this is the Jesus Storybook Bible. Not only is it a beautifully illustrated children's bible, but each story "whispers his name". I have teared up a time or two after reading this to my kids! I would love to hear about any of your traditions teaching your children about Christ during the holidays. Looking forward to next year!~ashley
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment