We lived in our first home for 6 years. It was simple and old, but it was ours. The house needed LOTS of work, but it was home. It was a FREE home. My father had purchased it many, many, many years ago to rent out (and the property as well since it backed up to our existing property). When my Grandmother moved back to GR, she lived there. Then, my sister and her family lived there. When my father passed away, my family home was too big for just my mom. A few years later, the decision was made for her to build a smaller home and for my sister and her family to then move into the big house. Ryan and I moved into the small "rent" house and it was ours, deed and all (the house was part of my inheritance). It was just what we needed. We were both very newly married, in college, and poor. We had a two bedroom, two bath house all to ourselves. Most importantly, we didn't have to pay one penny of rent or mortgage (yup, nada!). We worked hard painting the paneling, replacing the carpet, decorating, and fixing the plumbing among other things. It was our first foray into home improvement. Six years later, we had done a lot and we were so proud of our little house. Alas, Ryan got a coaching job in another town. We were fortunate enough to build our home from the ground up there (and oh what fun that was!). But that's another story...

I miss my little GR house. We get to see it every time we drive to my mom's. We have a lot of great memories there: We see the tree that we planted, the porch we built, the stump of the tree we had to cut down. We brought Cate home from the hospital to that house and she spent the first 2 years of her life there. My first puppy ever lived in this house too. She loved going in and out of the doggy door! We learned about hospitality and hosted many gatherings in our living room. I learned NOT to mix ammonia and bleach when cleaning (I was and still am kind of a clean freak, but I have chilled out a lot since then). I truly learned to appreciate so many of the things I took for granted growing up (central air/heat, space, storage, designer furnishings, housekeeper, a stationary dishwasher, disposal, slab foundation, etc, etc). When we sold it, we found out it had termites, a bad foundation, and rusted gas pipes that could have exploded at any moment (God is good); However, it was a good little house to us and I feel very blessed that we spent six years of our lives there. We learned a lot about ourselves and each other. I really appreciate all that I have now. Sometimes I struggle with contentment, but I just think back to that little house on First Street and how we were so happy there...when we had nothing...but we had EVERYTHING :)
~



Living Room (Back end) BEFORE (we had just moved-in in this pic)






This is my favorite picture. My two babies on our front porch. It is still on my fridge to this day.
What a great post. I really like knowing more about your life before you lived here in S.A.
ReplyDeleteWhat a precious first house you lived in. What's even more precious are the memories you made living there. Pure joy and contentment it appears. What a great job y'all did too fixin' her up too.
Chris and I have lived in our 1st house now almost 6 years now. Hard to believe really. I think this is almost the longest I've lived in any house my entire life so I'm having to adjust to this "moving itch" that I have.
Cute kitchen! Yes--at least you had a dishwasher! We didn't have one the first two years of marriage and I was always thinking that Kyle was going to divorce me because I would never wash dishes! He did way more than his fair share of dishwashing!
ReplyDelete--Chrissy
Wonderful post!!! Thank you. What memories I have of you living in that house. Love, Mom
ReplyDelete