When we knew we were going to be moving, I started selling. I don't like keeping things we don't use, play with, wear, etc. I also knew we were moving to a smaller home and just didn't have room for some of our stuff. So, I sold stuff on craigslist, ebay, and had a garage sale. We had decided to use that money for a new couch. Ours was 13 years old and needed to go to couch heaven a long time ago (we had it on life support).
We moved here on a Monday and I started shopping on Friday. After 9 visits to various furniture stores, I FINALLY made a decision; However, I didn't like the price. I had visited one store here in town who sold the same brand. I walked into that store and asked them if they could beat the price I saw at the other store. Not only would they beat it, but they were willing to knock off $250 dollars since I was paying in cash! So, two weeks later I have a beautiful, new, comfy couch!

We went ahead and sold the futon we had just bought a few months ago from a friend that we were using as our temporary couch (and before that the playroom couch-we just had no room for it now) and used that money to buy a small storage ottoman. I love it because I can put all of our blankets in it, it is useful for putting your feet on, plus it makes an excellent stage ;) .
I love bargains...and it sounds like you know how to find them :) Yay for saving $ and purging what you don't need anymore! What a GOOD feeling!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I love your new couch. It is really comfy looking but I love it even more after reading how much you saved on it! Way to go Ashley!
ReplyDeleteChris does that to stores all the time. He has them fighting over the best deal. The only difference is that usually it's with tires or automotive parts, and not furniture. :) I am always too chicken to ask for the discount.
I love the new couch! When we went shopping for couches I was shocked at how difficult it was to find something I liked... so I can totally sympathize with the agonizingly long process.
ReplyDeleteWay to go on getting a great deal and with sticking to the no debt policy!
Rachel, yes, I do love a good deal! Lory, I have learned that with any store, you don't have to pay full price. Especially if they work on commission. Amy, I knew exactly what I wanted (rolled arms, 3 seats, fixed back cushions, and a kid friendly fabric). It was hard to realize in the store at the time, but this couch is long enough that Ryan can lay on it without touching the end (he is 6'3)! It is hard to tell in this pic, but the fabric has many different colors in it, so it will work well with our kids. And, it my body likes to nap on it!
ReplyDeleteAshley, that is an awesome story! I LOVE the couch and ottoman. So fun!
ReplyDelete